Thursday 28 July 2011

Kunalan proves size does not matter in football

Speedy midfielder S. Kunalan may not have the physique to cause terror to his Singapore counterparts but the pint-sized Malaysian left-flanker certainly has the ability to terrorise the Lions with his darting runs.

“I do not need muscles to scare the Lions. I just need to use my head and play a tactical game to run them down with my limited talent,” said Kunalan, who did well to provide spark for the national team in the first-leg of the Asian Zone World Cup second round qualifying match against Singapore at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Saturday.

“I do not have the size but I can zip past their defence with my pace.”

Today, Malaysia need to win by a clear two-goal margin to pip Singapore on the away goals rule and move into the third round after Singapore beat Malaysia 5-3 in the first leg match.
The nippy Negri Sembilan player has been a real menace to his opponents with his darting runs.

He even gave visiting English Premier League sides Arsenal and Liverpool, who were down in Kuala Lumpur for their Asia Tour recently, a torrid time with his searing pace.

“I play to my ability and I am glad to have been a regular under coach Datuk K. Rajagopal since the 2009 SEA Games. It does not matter whether we play against physically stronger or bigger opponents, it is just how we pool our resources to outwit them,” said Kunalan.

It won’t be easy against the Singapore side, who have five naturalised players.

“But we are ready to play them and we will give them a run for their money until the final whistle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment