Wednesday 2 November 2011

New Terengganu coach aiming for 3 trophies next season

New Terengganu coach Mat Zan Mat Arif has lofty ambitions – he is targeting the treble next season for the Turtles.

“I know it’s early days but I do believe we can win the treble next season. We will seek to retain the FA Cup and try to win the Super League and Malaysia Cup,” Mat Zan said after agreeing personal terms with the Terengganu FA yesterday.

This will be Mat Zan’s second stint with Terengganu, having coached them to the Malaysia Cup title in 2001.

He takes over from Irfan Bakti, who on Monday announced his decision not to extend his contract.

Mat Zan is aware that he has big shoes to fill “as Irfan had done tremendously well”.

Under Irfan, Terengganu won the FA Cup and finished runners-up in the Super League and Malaysia Cup this season.

“There is no denying that Irfan has done very well. I am grateful to inherit a team with gifted players,” Mat Zan said.

The former Pos Malaysia coach also said that he had been told that five players from the current team would be released.

“That’s why I have to start looking for replacements … fast,” he said.

Meanwhile, Irfan, whose term expires on Nov 31, clarified that he was leaving on his own volition.

“It was by mutual agreement with the FA. I wasn’t forced into making the decision. I want a new challenge … with a new team,” said Irfan.

“It’s hard to leave the team. The players are all exceptional. It’s been a great two years of my life. I am grateful to the players and the management for sticking with me through this amazing journey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment