Thursday 16 February 2012

Kelantan coach and management in dispute over new signing

Kelantan coach Peter Butler yesterday opened a can of worms over the State FA's interference with his Super League team.

Speaking to reporters after his team's 2-1 defeat to Selangor in Bukit Jalil on Tuesday, Butler, however, refused to be drawn into recent reports that he will resign before the end of the month.

Butler and Kelantan FA president Tan Sri Annuar Musa are at loggerheads over several issues.

"I've got plenty of thinking to do regarding my current role. I obviously have to sit down and think about certain situations here in Kelantan.

"With dignity and pride, I have to look at what I want to do and what I stand for as a person," said Butler at Bukit Jalil Stadium yesterday.

"I need to ask myself a few questions such as why do I do this job. Unfortunately at times, you can't do the job the way you would like to do it.

"I came back here with really good players and every intention to take the team forward. I am not here to criticise anybody, but honestly feel I have to ask myself a few questions.

"Where I come from, coaches are regarded highly. I've played more than 550 matches in England and coaches there are well respected."

Ahead of the match with Selangor, sources revealed that Butler was no longer in charge of hiring and firing foreign players, with that role now being taken over by Annuar.

"I am perplexed by the situation especially when one of my original signings was deregistered without my knowledge," Butler added.

"Tan Sri (Annuar) has decided to take on that responsibility and I have to respect that if that's the way he wants it to be. He's in charge and he's the paymaster."

The Kelantan FA (FAS) fired Lebanese international Mohamad Ghaddar on Monday and replaced the striker with Nigeria's Onyekachi Nwoha without consulting Butler.

"It is the first time I've ever experienced that, but as a coach, I have to ask myself whether I want to work that way because, in the end, it is nice to be in charge of your own destiny. It is nice to be able to pick your own players.

"I've used a player in the second half against Selangor (Nwoha) who I have seen only 30 minutes in training. Where I come from, that is not professional. I think the ambience of the team was disrupted somewhat.

"Ghaddar has been deregistered and Nwoha just came in. It would have been nice to have been informed about the foreign players," Butler added.

It is learnt that KFA has begun the search for Butler's replacement, with former coach Datuk M. Karathu tipped to return to the position he vacated late last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment