Monday 20 February 2012

Selangor striker Amri Yahyah scores his 100th goal for team

Selangor captain Mohd Amri Yahyah notched his 100th goal for Selangor in the 4-0 demolition of Shahzan Muda in the first round of the FA Cup in Temerloh on Saturday.

Amri completed his historic milestone with a header in the 81st minute to join Selangor legends Datuk Ghani Minhat (over 300 goals), Datuk Mokhtar Dahari (177) Azman Adnan (159) and Zainal Abidin Hassan (125) in the illustrious 100-goal club.

Selangor’s new signing Bosko Balaban opened the scoring in the 21st minute, while midfielder Mohd Safiq Rahim bagged a brace in the 65th and 72nd.

Amri said he will keep on scoring and playing for Selangor for as long as he is wanted.

“I’m happy that my first goal of the season is also my 100th goal for Selangor. It’s a special moment for me,” said the 31-year-old attacking midfielder.

“My personal target for this season is 17 goals to help the team end our title drought. I think it is an achievable target as I’m playing in my preferred role as a supporting striker behind Balaban.

“I’m confident that our strike-rate will improve as Balaban gets into shape. I hit my personal best of 23 goals in 2009 when I was playing as the supporting striker so I hope I’ll be able to do it again.”

Amri, who has donned Selangor’s famous red and yellow colours for 11 years, has scored 59 goals in the Super League, 22 in the Malaysia Cup and 19 in the FA Cup.

The Tanjung Karang lad started his career with Selangor in 2001 at the age of 20. He has been one of the mainstays of the team ever since and was appointed captain in 2009.

On the performance against FAM Cup side Shahzan Muda, Amri said the team are still not at their best despite winning two consecutive matches after a poor start in the Super League.

The Red Giants are eighth in the league with nine points from two wins, three draws and two defeats. But Amri believes that the wins over their bogey teams Kelantan and T-team prove that they can be serious contenders this season.

“We are still far from our best but we are slowly getting our form back, Balaban also needs a bit more time to fit in,” said Amri.

No comments:

Post a Comment