Sunday, 2 February 2014

Pahang upsets Singapore while T-Team abandons match in FA Cup

The FA Cup second round match between Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) and T-Team ended abruptly at the Larkin Stadium.

It is learnt that the visiting team decided not to take to the field in the second-half, with JDT leading 2-1, as they feared for their safety.

It is also learnt that a scuffle had broken out during the break as the players and officials headed for the tunnel. Television footage also showed JDT striker Pablo Aimar involved in a heated argument with a T-Team coaching staff.

Match commissioner Zainal Mukri said he would refer the incident to the FAM competitions committee.

He also confirmed that a shouting match took place between JDT coach Cesar Jimenez and a T-Team fitness coach.

“I have yet to receive the reasons for T-Team’s decision in not coming out for the second half,” he said.

“The match will be postponed and I will also be sending the report to the FAM for further action."

JDT had taken a 2-0 lead through Argentine forward Luciano Figueroa in the 15th and 20th minutes before T-Team pulled a goal back through skipper Mohd Marzuki Yusof in the 26th minute off a freekick.

Meanwhile, Pahang created an upset of sorts when they ended Lions XII’s unbeaten home record at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Saturday.

The Singaporeans, who have been unbeaten at home since July 2012, lost 2-1 to the Elephants in the second round of the FA Cup.

Midfielder Hafiz Kamal scored from a freekick in the 50th minute before his midfield partner Azidan Sarudin struck five minutes later to end the Lions’ 22-match unbeaten home run.

Defender Safuwan Baharudin reduced the deficit off a freekick in the 85th minute but it wasn’t enough for Fandi Ahmad’s men to mount a comeback.

The Lions’ last home defeat was a 1-0 setback to Johor FC in a Super League match in July 14, 2012.

Last season, the team, under the guidance of V. Sundramoorthy, lifted the Super League crown in style by remaining undefeated at home – recording 10 wins and a draw at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment