Tuesday 27 December 2011

FIFA may ban Safee Sali if he continues to play in the banned Indonesian league

Malaysian striker Mohd Safee Sali risks being banned if he continues to play in the unsanctioned Indonesian Super League (ISL). And the FA of Malaysia (FAM) will not be able to do anything about it.

FAM general secretary Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad said yesterday they would have to comply with whatever decision taken by the world body, FIFA.

Last Friday, All-Indonesia Football Association (PSSI) president Djohar Arifin Husin had said that FIFA had banned the ISL and that the ban extended to all players, officials and referees involved in the league.

Safee, who plays for Pelita Jaya FC, faces an indefinite ban which could cost him his place in the national team.

“We will abide by FIFA’s ruling as they are the international governing body and their decision is final,” said Azzuddin.

“Safee will have to face the consequences if he continues to play in the ISL, and that could jeopardise his future. As a professional, I hope he knows what’s best for him.”

Safee moved to Pelita Jaya in February after helping Malaysia win the AFF Suzuki Cup for the first time last year.

The former Selangor striker has become a big hit in Indonesia, scoring seven goals in 14 matches to help Pelita Jaya finish 12th in the 15-team league.

Safee admitted that he is worried but will leave it to the club management to handle the issue.
“My contract with Pelita Jaya ends on Jan 31 and I have yet to make any decision regarding my future,” Safee said yesterday.

“The problem is beyond the players and I have a responsibilty as the captain of the team. I will honour my contract and hope for the best. 

“I have received several offers to play in foreign leagues in Asia and Europe, but I’m leaving my options open until my contract ends. I really hope the problem between ISL and PSSI is resolved soon.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment