Sunday 11 December 2011

Safee Sali looks for chance in Europe after trial with Cardiff

Malaysian striker Safee Sali revealed his biggest ambitions to play in Europe after enjoying his experience during a trial with Cardiff City in September.

Bluebirds manager Malky Mackay had stated that he was impressed by Sali's performance during the trial and wanted to sign him, but British work permit laws prevented a deal.

He told Fifa.com that his current dream is to seek a move to the European stage, as well as hoping for other Malaysian players to follow his path to success, with three of his national team-mates having moved on loan to Slovakia as a first step towards that.

“I really want to play in Europe so I hope, after my trial at Cardiff, to have more chances,” Sali enthused.

“I would be proud and happy if I can play in Europe, and I hope that many Malaysian players can go there. It would help development in Malaysia a lot.”

Sali, 27, is currently playing for Indonesian outfit Pelita Jaya, who signed him after a series of brilliant performances for Selangor FA and the Malaysia national side, and he is enjoying developing his skills at his present club.

“Indonesia is a step forward for me, it is different level of football and experience in there," the striker continued.

"The club environment is very good with big crowds. There is a lot of passion for football there.”

Despite failure in the 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifying campaign, Sali marked a unforgettable moment with his national side when they lifted the Asean Football Federation Cup for the first time in Malaysian football history.

The forward also achieved an individual honour, emerging as the top scorer after netting five goals.

“It was a big achievement for me,” Sali added of the cup win.

“It was something that I dreamed of before and I never thought I could get the goalscorer award. It was a very sweet year for me.”

Selangor-born striker laid down his next targets for Malaysia, with a repeat of their triumph the first goal.

“For the next year we want to win the Asean Football Federation Cup again, and then our goal is to qualify for the [2015] Asian Cup,” he declared.

“We have some momentum now, we can achieve it if we work hard for our target and have the right preparation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment