Sunday, 11 March 2012

Johor FC knocks out Selangor while Singapore and Kelantan progress in FA Cup

Johor FC knocked out five-time champions Selangor in the second round of the FA Cup after winning a dramatic sudden-death penalty shootout 5-4 at the Pasir Gudang Stadium last night.

The Red Giants only have themselves to blame after they squandered a 2-0 lead to allow the club side, who were reduced to 10-man, to bounce back. Former international Azi Shahril Azmi was sent off after only 17 minutes for a reckless tackle on Selangor’s Azidan Saruddin.

The match ended 2-2 in regulation time and both sides failed to break the deadlock in extra-time.

Goalkeeper Mohd Anis Faron Ahmad was the toast of Johor FC when he blocked K. Solihin’s spot-kick during the sudden-death shoot-out.

Mohd Zamri Chin converted the winning penalty for Johor FC, who face Premier League side Sime Darby FC in the quarter-finals.

Selangor went ahead through goals from Azidan Saruddin (30th) and Mohd Asraruddin Putra (56th).

Fauzi Shaari (59th) and Arthuro Bernhardt (66th) replied for Johor FC. 

In the shoot-out Mohd Reduan M’aon and Mohd Amirulhadi Zainal missed for Johor FC and Selangor respectively.

Mohd Ashaari Shamsuddin was on target as Terengganu’s edged Perak 1-0 at the Sultan Ismail Stadium. 

The national midfielder scored with a well-executed volley from the top of the box on the stroke of half-time. 

Ashaari could have doubled the lead in the 54th minute but his powerful shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Mohd Nasril Nourdin.

Young Terengganu custodian Mohd Sharmiza, standing in for the injured Sharbinee Alawee Ramli, impressed with some oustanding saves from Perak striker Akmal Rizal Rakli.

The win was sweet revenge for Turtles as they lost to Perak in the Super League earlier this season. 

Terengganu face Lions XII in the last eight.

In an earlier match, Singapore Lions XII eliminated NS Betaria FC 2-0 at the Jalan Besar Stadium. 

Skipper Shahril Ishak drew first blood in the 55th minute before young striker Sufian Anuar added the second in the 84th to set up a quarter-final date with Terengganu.

In Kota Baru, Kelantan laboured to a 3-2 win over Kuala Lumpur at the Sultan Mohd IV Stadium.

Mohd Norfarhan Mohd (30th), Indra Putra Mahayuddin (42nd) and Mohd Badri Radzi (65) scored for the Red Warriors while KL replied through Mohd Afiq Azmi (37th) and Fazuan Abdullah (90th).

Kelantan face KL SPA in the quarter-finals. The FAM Cup side defeated Preah Khan Reach of Cambodia 1-0 at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil. Mohd Zulkifli Affendi nailed the winner in the 52nd minute.

In other matches, Sime Darby FC’s beat USM FC 2-0 at the USM Stadium while Kedah edged Perlis 3-2 in Alor Setar.

No comments:

Post a Comment